Monday, December 12, 2011

Dec. 11th: Christmas Presence

Since moving to Vancouver I have developed a Christmas tradition that I don't think I can ever let go of now.  That tradition is Pacific Theatre's annual show - Christmas Presence.  Since 2006 when I first saw the show all I could think about was "This - THIS - is what Christmas is all about" quickly followed by the thought "I wish my parents were here to see this."

It's funny because the format of the show is soooooo informal, but that's what adds to the charm of the show.  It's really just some musicians getting together to jam with their Christmas tunes, while we throw the odd reading of a Christmas related story in there.  The artists arrive at 4pm to do some jamming, and by the time the starts at 8pm we have a set list.  A tentative set list that almost always changes slightly at some point in the night - but a set list nonetheless.

The show is particularly powerful when it is held in Pacific Theatre's intimate venue because you truly get the feeling that you are in someone's living room at a Christmas Party.  At least that's what it felt like to me because it's very similar to some of the parties that my parents went to when I was younger.  The parties would mostly be about the parents getting together and catching up, while the kids went off to play.  But at some point in the evening my Dad and his friends would pull out their instruments and start jamming - at which point I would often abandon the other kids in order to listen to the music.  Sometimes the jamming would start a little late in the evening when I should have been in bed, but I still managed to be present at the concert despite how tired I was.  Sure - I was curled up in a chair sleeping while they played - but at least I was there!

I digress!  The point is that the intentionality of Christmas Presence to keep the show friendly and casual while still taking the time to share some fun, hilarious, and so often moving stories about this time of year is what makes this event so special and so very nostalgic for me.  We had the first showing tonight which was fantastic.  But it's next Saturdays show that I am particularly excited about.  Not because it will be better than all the rest - but because I'll finally get my wish of having my parents there to see it with me.  Who wants to guess what the awesomism will be for that day?

Here's a little taste of the event!  One of our musicians, Laurell, has a song called All Wrapped Up In You that is quite lovely, and this is her original video for the song.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment