Saturday, December 03, 2011

Dec. 2nd: A conversation piece!

I love opening nights!  Whenever I attend an opening night I actually put a little bit of thought into the theme of the show and try to pull items from my wardrobe that would like nice and hopefully touch on some theme of the show.  For our opening of A Christmas Carol I wanted to wear something vintage and maybe European - so I decided on the following attire - which included my new anthropologie skirt, the houndstooth coat I bought for over 90% off at the end of winter last year in Victoria, and my Grandmother's old gloves.


I was quite content with the wardrobe selection, and I received a lot of compliments today.  However, I was not expecting it to be the conversation piece that it turned out to be.  As we left the after party an intoxicated gentleman started yelling things out of a taxicab window inspired by my attire.  It started with him commenting on the warmth of my jacket and hat, followed by a rather emphatic "Dammit!" then eventually punctuated with his ... insult?? (you be the judge): "The 20s called, they want WWII back!"  I still don't know whether to be flattered by the fact that he thought that I fit into the 20s fashion, saddened by the fact that this person clearly never graduated from middle school, or angered for .... whatever reason he had intended.  Eventually trying to figure out what to feel broke my brain and made me delirious - which turned out to be pretty funny and infectious once we got on the bus.  We ended up running into a really sweet personable guy named Jared, who had a question about my gloves.  Unfortunately he ended up getting a way longer response than he ever expected.  I blame the broken brain caused by Taxi guy.

But all in all it was a great day and a fantastic night.  I should dress up more often to create more conversation pieces.  Hopefully by next time I'll have my brain back!

No comments:

Post a Comment