Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Dec.13th: Something roasting on an open fire!

It was yet another long day today, but it was capped off in one of the most delightful ways that the many hours spent at work did not even matter.  Because I was fortunate to smell the glorious scent of a cozy fire as I walked towards my apartment door.

I think there are a number of distinct smells that are clear reminders of the winter season.  For instance: pine, spruce, fir or any other kind of Christmas tree out there, mulled cider or wine, freshly fallen snow (yes it somehow has a scent), hot chocolate, damp clothes (after making snow angels in the freshly fallen snow), candy canes, and holiday baking - to name a few.  But one of my favourites is the smell of a fire burning in the fireplace.  You can practically smell the comfort.

Now, I knew coming home that the fire was not coming from my house, but it really didn't matter.  It just made me happy enough to know that someone nearby was taking full advantage of their fireplace.  As they should.  I happen to think that wood burning fireplaces are one of the best features a house can have. Electric fireplaces are neat but they will never offer that same homey feeling that comes from putting another log on the fire.  

Yes - a word burning fireplace is on definitely my list of wants when it comes time to ever being a homeowner.  I understand that I might have to negotiate some of my desires which means I might not get my fireplace right away - but a girl can dream, can't she?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's not the same but check out the electric fireplaces! Not as cozy and the smell isn't there but you can take it with you to bed.

    http://www.nextag.com/electric-fireplace-heater/compare-html

    ReplyDelete