Wednesday, June 06, 2012

June 5th: Crazy Random Happenstance!

I'm not usually one who likes a change in plans, but tonight it was absolutely welcomed.  Instead of attending an event that would have involved spending time mingling with the theatre crowd in Vancouver, I changed plans to hang out with Andrea at a networking event for local Vancouver businesses.  I had no idea what I would be getting myself into, but I figured it would be fun.  If nothing else I'd at least get to meet some new people and learn a bit more about some local businesses.  Turns out I was in for so much more!!!

Yes - I met lots of awesome new people and found out more about the local businesses.  And now I know that I have to make a field trip to Earnest Ice Cream, and that I really want to somehow get involved with eatART and their awesome creative engineering projects.  I'm a creative helpful person. There has to be something I can do.

The thing that happened that I wasn't expecting is that I ran into some people who I kind of knew, but either never officially met, or hadn't seen in several years.  It is really awesome to go into a networking event and within the first few minutes of arriving having someone bee line it for you because they recognize you and know you need to meet.  Turns out that Louise from Recycling Alternative who was hosting the event is a fellow member of the VOC Sweet Soul Gospel Choir. It's hard to get to know everyone in a choir of more than 100 people.  So finally we were able to exchange names and get to know a bit more about each other.

Then later I saw someone who was in a show I was in 6 years ago.  So after establishing that the whole purpose of these events is to have a 'mark' - you know, someone you intend to meet and talk to at the event, I decided to make him my mark.  Not only was it awesome to catch up and see what we were both up to now, but I found out that he is now doing stand-up comedy (how convenient considering what I was up to last week) and that he happened to have a show that evening at a venue fairly close by.  So obviously that had to be added to the to do list for the evening.

Once the networking event started winding down, Andrea and I made our way down to the comedy show.   And since we were in the area, we invited friend Natalie who was also in the show with Travis.  Amazingly, she was actually available and came out as well.

Such an awesome random evening that spawned from a slight change in plans!  Thank you Andrea for the invite.  Any time you need someone to accompany you to events like this, I hope you extend the invitation my way again.



No comments:

Post a Comment