Sunday, June 03, 2012

May 31st: Stand-Up for your Rights!

I did it!  A month ago I accepted the challenge of doing stand-up comedy, and finally I have accomplished it.  And the best part is - THEY LAUGHED!!!!  There were some legitimate laughs.  And there were some pity laughs as well.  But hey, a laugh is a laugh.

I cannot express just how nervous I was to do the stand-up.  And then an hour before the show when I met all of the other comedians and heard some of their stuff I became even more nervous.  Their sets were mostly just jokes.  Some jokes based on story, but mostly just jokes based on being funny.  Basically what you would expect of a stand-up comedian. I felt a wee bit out of place. I essentially just kept my mouth closed until it was my turn, and then made my way on stage as I took a deep breath and then started talking.

I am so relieved to have done it, and for it to have gone as well as it did.  Am I ready to do it again? Absolutely not!  Will I ever do it again?  Possibly.  I might even say probably.  But it's going to take some time.  My confidence was definitely shaken prior to doing it, and even though it went fairly well, I'm still trying to tighten up those pieces that came loose during the whole preparation process. But, we'll see what happens.  Maybe I'll do it again.  Maybe I'll leave it to those who seem much more comfortable with it.  Who knows?

What I do know is that that one time of doing while absolutely frightening, was really really AWESOME, and I want to thank Andrea and Luke for being my very needed support group that evening.  I can't thank you enough for being there to cheer me on!  I'm a lucky gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment