Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Aug 17th: Dairy Queen and Wibble-de-pukes!

Not far from the lodge is a little town called Lake Nebagamon where there is a Dairy Queen. When we were younger we would make make at least one trip out for Blizzards, and in the last couple of visits here it seemed like we were making trips for Blizzards every other day or so.  Not smart, I know, but we were on vacation.  Fortunately this year we came to our senses and only went once (or twice for some people).

Now - the thing about this Dairy Queen is that it has a park right next to it with one of those merry-go-rounds that you sit on and hang on to while someone spins you around (also referred to as 'Wibble-de-pukes' for appropriate reasons).  When we were younger we would follow the eating of our Blizzards with a spin - which I'm sure at some point ended with the expected result. But since I can't vividly remember anyone ever tossing their Blizzards I assume that can only mean that it barely ever happened, if it did. OR that it happened so often that I have no distinct memory of it.  Either way - I had to go for a ride after my blizzard tonight.  

Fortunately I spent most of my time nearer to the centre and therefore was able to keep my Blizzard contained.  But at some point I ended up on the outside, and I think I forgot how hard it is to stay onto the thing when you're on the outside of it.  I mean - I was hanging on with all of my strength and I'm willing to bet that part of the reason I was able to stay on is because I knew how much it would hurt if I didn't.  I can understand why merry-go-arounds have been removed from some playgrounds because of how dangerous they can be.  But they are still my favourite kind of playground equipment and continue to call my name anytime I see one.  And who is going to turn down the call of a Wibble-de-Puke?  Not me!  Not even if I'm filled with a Blizzard!


  

2 comments:

  1. i love the retro dairy queen sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! That's one of the best parts! Leah - the next time I come down I think you and Jesse need to come too. It's just so much fun out here. You would love it!

    ReplyDelete