Friday, August 19, 2011

Aug 18th: Last Day at the Lodge!

It was a great last day at the lodge.  Not too eventful. Just a lot of relaxation and a day spent on the hammock.  The boys went golfing, while we started and completed a puzzle, played some card games, and just hung out.  Then we had a great dinner and heard some old stories about my great-grandfather and the kids.  You know - essentially what coming to the lodge is all about!  So in honour of this fine day of not a whole lot, I thought I'd take you on a tour of this beautiful building.  Welcome to the Muskikiwiininni Lodge (pronounced Muskeekee-wee-a-ninny - in case anyone was wondering).  Enjoy the tour!

View of the Boat House from the front porch.

View from the back entrance, closest to the kitchen.

Front and side porch of the lodge (as seen coming up from the boat house).

View of the side porch.  At the end you'll see the much coveted hammock where I spent a lot of time blogging.

Front porch with the other side porch at the far end. It doesn't get quite as much love as the other, probably because there's only one recliner in there, while the other porch is a social gathering place.

View of the side yard where we played some croquet, and in past years have played some badminton.  Clearly we didn't get around to putting up the net this year.

Kitchen! There's a door at the back that leads to a cute breakfast nook.  And behind the wall is a pantry and a staircase that leads to the bedroom that I spent a lot of time in.

Dining Room with a smaller table than usual.  We had as many as 16 people at this table this trip, but I think there have been times when we've had as many as 20 or so.

Living Area (also the first room you walk into if you come through the front door)!  Not shown here is the card table where we had a lot of "1-8-1" (or "up-and-down-the-river") games.

  
Height Hall, leading out to the side yard and to Grammy's old room!

Grammy's old room!  Also known affectionately as Tic's Room.  I'll have to get into the story of that nickname in another blog.  Please note: I chose not to take a picture of Aunt Jannie and Boppy's room which is also in this hallway, because I've never actually been in that room and I kind of want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Big Boy's Room!  This was my great-grandfather's room.  My parents would stay in this room anytime we vacationed here (and I'd often sleep in the bed I'm sitting on while taking the picture).  This time around Jamie and Siobhan got to sleep here with Isla.  On the far wall are a bunch of pictures of Big Boy's kids.  In the larger portrait frame to the right is a picture of a boy who looks just like Jamie and my Dad.  It happens to be a picture of Jack Chisholm - my grandfather.

Next to Big Boy's Room is the Yellow Room - named as such because it is yellow.  Fun fact: this is the only room in the house that has a bed that a couple can sleep in together, comfortably!

The Bear Room - named as such because of the two pictures of bears on the wall.  This is where McKenzie and I would occasionally stay when 'Old Maids' Paradise' was occupied.


Old Maids' Paradise! ... or Beastie Boys Bailey - depending on whether the boys or girls were occupying it. A lot of fun was had in this room.  That bed behind the door was my favourite.  The stairs going down to the kitchen are behind me.

The little cabin!  Much bigger than the name would imply.  Due to the 'lived in' status of the cabin, I'm choosing not to post pictures of the inside.  But after the major renovations it looks quite nice. The main floor has a futon and small kitchenette, and upstairs there are 4 beds and the best washroom at the lodge.  And of course the outdoor shower right next to it.  This trip was my first time ever sleeping in the little cabin.  I guess the parents never wanted us girls to have to walk over to it in the dark to sleep in its rustic simplicity.  I thank them for that!



No comments:

Post a Comment