Monday, August 22, 2011

Aug 22nd: Optimism is better than despair . . .

Somehow today's tale of awesome is being spun from a rather tragic event - the passing of Canada's NDP Leader, Jack Layton.  Apparently the cancer he was battling was much stronger than anyone expected or was willing to acknowledge, and ended up overtaking him at the age of 61.  His death is devastating.  His existence, however, was awesome.

I can't say that the NDP was, or is, my party.  My vote has never been specified to any one party, but to which platforms seemed to make most sense to me at the time of the elections.  What I can say is that Jack Layton was probably the first politician that I actually got on side with.  I remember watching the debates for the May 2nd election, and while the media claimed there was no winner, I had to disagree.  Jack Layton was the only leader who I felt actually debated with the opponents, challenged them with some great questions, and who I thought clearly answered the questions given to him.  Perhaps I was just put-off by the other leaders, or perhaps I was just biased because he was the only one who made comments that I greatly agreed with (and fewer comments that I greatly disagreed with).  No matter which party any Canadian affiliates themselves with, I hope that we can all agree that we've lost a great leader.

Thank you Jack for your years of service, your many battles, and your final words!  
And finally, to all Canadians: Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one – a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world’s environment. We can restore our good name in the world. We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change. In the months and years to come, New Democrats will put a compelling new alternative to you. My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team. Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. Don’t let them tell you it can’t be done. 
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

1 comment: