Saturday, August 06, 2011

Aug 6th: Fabulous, Familial and Freshl!

It's a trifecta of awesome today. One might also call it the hat trick of awesome, or the Holy Triumvirate of Awesome.  Basically there was just a lot of awesome so let's get down to it, shall we?

FABULOUS:  I can't let today go by without giving props to the ladies of Les Petites Taquines for their fantastic production of When I Was, Qui Je Suis.  I've always known that these ladies could dance, but their show totally blew my mind.  You should be very proud girls - you rock my socks!  I can't wait for your next show.

FAMILIAL:  As I mentioned in an earlier post - Mom's are just awesome.  I still think my Mom is the top Mom, but I have to give a shout out to any mother who will invest lots of time in effort into making homemade little gifts to the castmates of her son, not just once, not even twice, but three times.  I am now the proud owner of two handwoven baskets, a handwoven tea cup and saucer, and a handwoven little dress.  I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing I think these crafts are not to mention the fact that she made them for everyone in a huge cast on multiple occasions.  I'll do my best to post a photo later just so you have a better idea of how adorable and amazing these things are.

FRESH: Anyone who can actually grow and harvest their own produce is extremely impressive to me, because frankly I could kill a cactus in no time flat.  So, anyone who is willing to share the fruits (or herbs, or vegetables) of their labour is friggin' amazing!  Fortunately for me, I was welcomed this morning with a little goodie bag of fresh vegetables from a friends garden including some kale, swiss chard, cilantro, parsley, a cucumber and a yellow zucchini.  I'm not going to lie - I was slightly hesitant to take it because I knew that I would be leaving town for ten full days on Tuesday and I wasn't sure if I could get through it all, but I was determined to make it work.  

I only had a short period of time in which to have dinner tonight before heading off to the dance show, so I had originally planned on having some old (and possibly expired) leftovers. But then fate stepped in! My landlords came downstairs to offer me some free Barbecue, just as a thank-you for always being so nice, and understanding.  I opened the package to find a couple of drum sticks and a few kebabs that smelled delectable!  Well - I figured this was as good a time as any to dig into those fresh veggies.  I used the chard, kale, herbs and some of the cucumber to make myself a little salad with just a little bit of balsamic for dressing, and it was SO good.  

It was a perfect summer homecooked meal that I didn't have to make. Sorry leftovers!  But there was no way that you were ever going to taste as good as the love from my friends and neighbours.  


No comments:

Post a Comment