Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Aug 2nd: Wait ... I like sports?

Tonight I had the privilege of going somewhere I haven't been in at least a decade - THE BALLPARK! My friend Tina invited me out to see the Vancouver Canadians play at Nat Bailey Stadium and I was so happy to take her up on her offer.  Not only was it a great chance to catch up with her, but it was just a great way to spend a summer evening.  Everyone was so happy to be there, baseballs were flying everywhere, hot dogs were being eaten, a sushi race took place, and the sky became filled with phalic/sperm-like balloons after singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame!"  And it was just a great game of baseball!  We missed the first run in the 2nd inning because we were getting our hot dogs and after a number of innings of nothing happening we were starting to get concerned that we would leave the game missing the one major thing that happened all game.  Sure enough, by the 8th inning the game became more exciting when the umpire made a bad call, quickly followed by the batter hitting a line drive down centre that brought our guy on second all the way home.  I'll admit, there was some squealing, but I just couldn't contain the excitement.  By the end of the game, the Canadians had won 3-1 against Spokane.  I know I'm no athlete and have never really been into sports (unless of course my brothers were playing in a game) - but tonight was an interesting revelation that perhaps the sports gene I never thought I had, isn't as absent as I think it is.  I really couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my night.  I'm sure I'll be making it out to Nat Bailey again at some point to catch more games.  But I think I would love my next sports outing to be a BC Lions game - ideally playing the Ti-Cats if I can manage it.  Now that's a cat fight I would LOVE to witness!

No comments:

Post a Comment