Saturday, August 27, 2011

Aug 26th: A Montreal-Type Ladies Night!


Back  when I was living in Montreal, one of my favourite ways to spend an evening out was either by going out dancing or hanging out at the Upstairs Jazz Bar where the McGill jazz students played regularly.  Holy heck – did that program ever have talent.  Fortunately for me I was able to become acquainted with a lot of the students from the program who became huge inspirations in my life, and gave me a greater appreciation for music than I already had.

Unfortunately I had to leave Montreal as the French language and I were not getting along (despite my best efforts), so I eventually packed up my bags and moved west, bidding adieu to the jazz and party scene of Montreal.  Since being in Vancouver, I don’t really go out to bars or clubs anymore, but my one exception is when my friend Brad is in town with one of the bands he’s touring with.  Oddly enough , a few years ago on one of his tours I randomly ran into one my friends from McGill’s jazz program who happened to be performing in one of the opening bands.  Since then we’ve been able to stay in touch and this week he informed me that he would be in town again performing with a different artist.  Well – obviously I had to go, and fortunately I had some lady friends who wanted to join.

I almost forgot how awesome it can be to get some fun ladies together, get dressed up, and spend a night out dancing and enjoying some amazing live music!  Montreal – I miss you!  But I am so grateful to still have friends there that can bring a little of you my way!  Thanks so much for the invitation Eric!  And thank you for the amazing dance party, Linsy and Andrea!  

Oh – and if you want to hear some awesome music – check out Cecile Doo-Kingue!   

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget about No Sinner! That girl had pipes. And moves. As did her guitarist.

    ReplyDelete