Saturday, August 20, 2011

Aug 19th: The choices we make!

I started the long trip home today and discovered something amazing and kind of ridiculous.  It seems I'm becoming more emotional as I grow older.  Certainly when it comes to my family, anyway.

As I said good-bye to my father today when I boarded the shuttle for Minneapolis, my breath became short, my jaw tightened, and I could feel tears welling in my eyes.  This has actually happened the last few times I have said my final good-bye after a visit with my family.  I understand that I made the choice to leave Southern Ontario and live in Vancouver, but it's as if I have to make that decision all over again every time I see them.

To say that my family means a lot to me is an understatement.  But I know that being in Vancouver is the right choice for me.  I built a career that I love here.  I've become a part of some amazing artistic communities out here. I have a great group of friends out here who I consider as family.  And - as corny as it sounds - I feel that the city itself feeds my soul.  So while I hate having to constantly say good-bye to the family, and remake what was possibly the most difficult decision of my life - I'm grateful for the amazing career that I have that affords me the opportunity to see my family as often as I do, and the emotional reminder of why I made the decision in the first place.




No comments:

Post a Comment