Monday, March 12, 2012

Mar. 10th: Drexoll Board Games

So my post for Friday was maybe a little less awesome than some of my others.  Honouring a beloved theatre company is awesome, but I do need to put aside the grieving for a bit to remember all of the other really awesome things that took place on Saturday.

First I started off the day enjoying some fun lady time at brunch, then working on some wedding planning ideas.  I love talking shop about weddings.  Any excuse to discuss diy party planning ideas, is a good one to me.  But then after planning it was date time.

Luke and I both love board games, so often when Luke and I have some time off together we will of head to Drexoll Games, just to scan the titles and figure out what the next board game purchase might be.  But Saturday was the first time that we ever made our trip to Drexoll a true date experience.  We have known for a while that Drexoll has an area in the store where you sit and relax and play one of the many opened games that they have at the store.  So on Saturday when we were trying to figure out what we wanted to do, Drexoll came up and we realized that we actually had enough time to sit down and play a game together.

As we scanned the shelf looking for a good two-person game, we came across Ticket To Ride, which Luke had been talking about for a while.  I had played the game once before in Wisconsin but couldn't remember the details too well and whether we could play with just the two of us and have it be a worthwhile game.  Turns out - it definitely is.  I had put it in my mind that the game was more like Catan (thinking along the lines of building roads), but it's actually more like a strategic game of Risk where you accomplishment cards to earn you points.  Only instead of taking over countries, you occupy train tracks.  It's actually the perfect game for two people who like strategic games.  So we set up the game, read the rules and played.  It was so much fun.  I laid down the last track that gave us each one last turn before the game ended, and then it was time to count the points.  Much to my dismay - we tied!

I know I should be happy about the tie, thinking of it as a huge romantic gesture of fate.  But that was not the case.  There are two tie breakers for the game and even after both of those, we still tied.  I can deal with losing.  But ending with a tie?  It just seems so ... disappointing.

Anyway - if there are any board gamers out there who have a Drexoll Board Games store somewhere in their vicinity, then I highly encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to try out some new board games for free.  Talk about a great date day!

No comments:

Post a Comment