Friday, March 09, 2012

Mar. 8th: International Women's Day!

Women are awesome.  To think of how much things have changed in the last century and how hard women had to fight for the rights we have today, is unbelievable.  Even just thinking of my own grandmother and how different things must have been for her growing up, just because she was a woman.  Yes - we still struggle with gender equality today, but I can be grateful for the vast improvements that have been made by my grandmother and her mother and their generations for initiating the movements that brought us to today.  Thanks to them I am able to exercise my right to vote, enjoy having a career after a university education, embrace my 'single' status without fear of judgment, and if/when I desire - I can successfully maintain the career I love, while being a fantastic mother and wife.

I'd like to dedicate this day to all of the women in my life whose strength encouraged me to find my own.  A big thanks to my Grandma, Mom, Aunts, Cousins, Second cousins, my sister-in-law, all of my amazing lady friends, and my beautiful niece.  It's because of you that I know what it is to be a girl, a lady, a female and, of course, a woman!  Happy International Women's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment