Sunday, March 04, 2012

Mar. 2nd: DOUBT

I sometimes forget how lucky I am to have the career I have.  Tuesday I spent my night at the theatre seeing a beautifully stylized new Canadian musical, Thursday I enjoyed watching a play by one of my favourite playwright's ever and set in my hometown, and Friday I attended the theatre I work at to enjoy the opening night of one of (if not) the best scripts I have ever read.

Some people may have seen the movie DOUBT featuring Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams, and written and directed by John Patrick Shanley.  It was a great film, as one might expect with it having been nominated for several Academy Awards and all.  However - I do not know how many people realize that the story was originally written as a play.  And with all due respect to the screenwriter and director of the film, I actually think it works best on stage.  The beauty of the stage is the stage is that even in the most truthful storytelling, a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is required.  But to make a film feel honest and true, it requires extras.  For a script like Doubt, I feel like so much of the story lies in what you don't see.  Hearing about a student you never see, a relationship you never witness, and characters who are vital but only exist in words.  THAT is the essence of the story, and played right, that is what allows someone to tread the line to experience what they came to see: DOUBT.

Congratulations cast and crew for treading that line and reminding me why I love this play and my job as much as I do.  You are all awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment