Sunday, March 04, 2012

Mar. 1st: Hamilton On Stage

I love Morris Panych.  It was his play Lawrence and Holloman that made me realize that I wanted theatre to be my career, and since then he has been one of those playwrights whose work I just cannot get enough of.  So - when I found out that his play Gordon was playing at the Arts Club, I reserved my tickets without learning a single thing about the show.  The fact that it was written and directed by Morris Panych was all that I needed to know.

So when I arrived to the theatre and opened up the show program to find out that some of my favourite actors were in the show, my enthusiasm grew exponentially.  But then I continued down the page to read the words: "Setting: Hamilton, Ontario.  Present Day."  .... WHAT?!?!  A play set in my hometown, featuring some of my favourite actors, written and directed by one of my favourite playwrights!  At this point, the word awesome just doesn't seem to cut it.

As expected, the play was amazing.  Gritty, hilarious, uncomfortable, and astounding!  Everything that Morris Panych excels at.  And watching Andrew Wheeler perform beautifully in yet another totally different role this year, and this time as a Hamiltonian???  Be still, my heart!  The cast was stellar.  The set was gorgeous in the grimiest way.  It beautifully captured the essence of the rundown, blue-collar, steeltown home.  And the play itself as a whole?  Okay - I might be a little biased, because it is not very often that I see a show that makes references to Brantford, Oshawa, and Highway 6, and being reminded of my times spent in those areas while enjoying my favourite art form, definitely puts me into a euphoric state of mind.  But truthfully, this play was superb and I highly recommend it for anyone who even remotely enjoys dark comedies.

Congratulations to the Arts Club, Morris Panych, and the whole cast and crew for making a great piece of theatre!  Thanks for bringing me home!

No comments:

Post a Comment