Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mar. 27th: Athletics!

I am not an athlete.  Everyone who knows me knows that I'm not an athlete.  I am an artist.  My brothers are athletes.  While I was in choir and drama club, they were at football practice (or rugby, basketball, water polo, soccer, or whatever sport was going on at the time).  We clearly had our differing interests, but we were all very supportive of one another.  They came to my plays, I went to their games.  Not all of them.  But enough to be supportive.  Because even though we had different interests, it was still really awesome to see each other perform in the things we were passionate about.  It's with thanks to my brothers and my family that I have such high respects for athletics even if I do not share their same level of enthusiasm.

Since I've grown up and 'matured' I have realized that fitness is actually an important thing for everyone to incorporate into their lives, even if just a little bit.  So in my best effort to stay somewhat active I signed up for a couple of fitness classes at BCIT.  Today on my way out of the class, I sat down in the waiting area before heading off with Andrea to a friends house, and on the TV were the Olympic qualifying swimming races (specifically the breast stroke).  A past partner of mine had some cousins who were swimmers who I knew were competing for the Olympics, so I was curious if they would be in this race.  Sure enough their names did not appear, but they did keep mentioning this other name - "Scott Dickens".

This is how stupid I am - even though I know a Scott Dickens who is a swimmer, and even though I heard he was racing to be in the Olympics, and even though I know what he looks like - I still had a hard time believing it was actually him.  Even so - I made sure Andrea and I stuck around long enough to see the race.  The race started and the entire time he was doing the breast stroke they just kept talking about him and repeating his name and all the while I kept thinking "Is this actually him?"  What the heck were the chances that in the brief couple of minutes that I was watching sports on TV that I would see someone I know and went to high school, who played on teams with my brothers, racing to get into the Olympics?  Well, it happened.  As soon as the race was over and he took his goggles off - it was confirmed!

Congratulations Scott for your well deserved qualification!  Your race was absolutely the highlight of my day (and let me tell you that today was already pretty fantastic).  Can't wait to see you representing Canada in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment