Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mar. 13th: Witty Banter

Today I honour a perfectly awesome random part of life: Witty Banter.

Life can be so serious sometimes.  This evening I spent three hours in a Board Meeting talking about strategic planning.  What we were talking about was very serious, and had we focused purely on the task at hand we may have been able to get out of there earlier.  But instead we chose to litter the meeting with random comments and laughter from peanut gallery.  Of course these moments of witty banter would sidetrack the conversation and we would have to refocus in order to move the meeting along and get the work done.  But it almost seemed that the peanut gallery was necessary.  We all wanted the break from the work and a chance to relax and let loose.  In a way, the banter created a bond between all of us and ensured that we were all a team looking to achieve a goal, while having fun in the process.

In addition to being a way to bond with a group, or an individual, a good round of bantering can be a great exercise for the mind.  Like any good volley, a back-and-forth of clever words and thoughts can be extremely rewarding and leave you feeling a bit exhausted after laying down a whole bunch of wit.  I am convinced that everyone should have a good banter partner to play off of to keep their wits sharp and keep conversations lighthearted.

I am lucky enough to be dating my banter partner.  Apparently our bantering can be so epic that it can exhaust people in the surrounding area before ever exhausting us.  And as far as I'm concerned - that just means we're doing our job.  Physical exercise might exhaust me, but at least I know that my mental fitness up to snuff.  If anyone wants to banter with me, I'll be ready!  Bring on the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment