Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sept. 13th: Home Cooked Meal!

I do not enjoy cooking.  I love eating and creating flavour combinations and meals in my head, but the process of cooking is not something that I enjoy.  I feel like it's a chore, and not even one that I prefer.  Given the choice between cooking or cleaning, I would ask for the rubber gloves and sponge any day.  Unfortunately one of the perks of living alone is that I don't have that choice.

Today I decided to embrace this chore and make myself a delicious home cooked meal, inspired by my Grammy.  In Wisconsin when we were younger, there would be mornings when we would wake up really early and catch some rainbow trout.  We'd then take it back to the lodge, where the necessary preparations were done so that Grammy could pan-fry the trout battered in corn meal. It was so good, and one of the few times I enjoyed eating fish when I was younger.  So I tried to replicate that meal today with the frozen basa filets I had in my freezer.  It didn't quite work out as well as hers did, but it was a valiant effort and it still tasted delicious.  Especially with some fresh dill on it, and served alongside some corn on the cob, and snap peas.

And now I get to sit back feeling nostalgic, proud, full, and with that satisfied feeling that comes from finishing any chore.  Thanks for the delicious meal and motivation Grammy!

No comments:

Post a Comment