Friday, September 09, 2011

Sept. 8th: On the Fringe!

The Fringe festival is a really awesome thing.  It's a great way for new and emerging artists to have an accessible way to showcase their work and talent to a huge community of people.  I dabbled in the Fringe a couple of years ago with my one-woman show and I couldn't have been more grateful for the experience of being able to produce my own writing.  Tonight as I watched my friend Erin perform in her own written work, The Selkie Wife, I could only hope that she felt the same way.

The play was stunning and the site-specific venue was absolutely perfect.  What better way to watch a play about the sea than by being outside in the salty air with seagulls calling around you.  The timing also couldn't have been more impeccable.  It's amazing that, in the hour long show, we managed to catch the sunset without ever actually noticing until it was gone.   

Thank you Erin for a beautiful theatre experience.  I hope you relish this time and mingle with your fellow fringers and meet new people who can teach you so many new things (just as they did me).  And please make sure to use that pass of yours as often as you can.  I remember my high school drama teacher telling me that 'there is something to be learned from every piece of theatre that you see, so you should make sure to see as many shows as possible'.  I am paraphrasing, but I think it's really good advice, and there's no better time than now when you have all of these different shows right at your fingertips.  

I hope you have a great run!  Congratulations on a great opening night!



  




No comments:

Post a Comment