Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sept. 23rd: Bringing the Funny!

Friday night was fantastic!  I had my first improv show after a three month hiatus, and it was SO much fun.  We had six performers in total, all pulled from the Pacific Theatre funny bin, and we had the privilege of playing with a live band complete with keyboard, drums, and bass.  And what was even better was we were performing in the Ironworks.  I'm used to performing in theatres, so to be able to perform in front of people at tables with some drinks in hands was very reminiscent of performing at a comedy club, and reminded me of when I first started performing improv 12 years ago.  Wow - that sentence made me feel old.

And now for a moment of self-reflection!  Being able to perform in this show after three months off was a major relief because those three months felt REALLY long.  I was doing a lot of other performances during that time, but I really missed the improv.  The reason why I find it so weird is because I really only started performing improv again this year.  I guess I performed in a show or two over the past couple of years for our theatre, but before 2009 I had spent a solid six years without performing improv at all.  I was busy studying or working towards my administrative career and didn't find the time.  Late last year I decided to finally take some classes with Vancouver Theatresports League to make it a priority again, which ended up leading me to Second Storey Theatre which has since become my improv home.  And now I am at the point where a few months without any improv (workshops or performances) really wears on me.  It's amazing how one simple thing can affect my personal fulfillment.

All of this to say that I am EXTREMELY grateful to have so many people around me who have allowed me to bring improv and comedy back into my life.  It was a great show on Friday.  I definitely felt a bit rusty but I think there were some good laughs and all in all I was very proud of everyone for bringing the funny and raising some money for the Union Gospel Mission.  Fun in the name of a good cause is always a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment