Sunday, April 22, 2012

Apr. 15th: Only human!

It's amazing feeling to know to come to realize that one of those people that you have put on a pedestal turns out to just like everyone else.  Checo was one of those people that I held up very high.  The man is amazing.  He's so passionate, so talented, so kind and caring (and I mean actually caring ... he means it when he asks 'how are you'), and just one of those unbelievable people.  I mean he toured with a bunch of classic Motown folks.  He even performed at Barack Obama's high school dance.  And he still performs everywhere even now, while managing at least two massive choirs (one in Vancouver, another in Victoria).

Well when I went to choir practice and found out that he had lost his voice, instead of feeling outrageous concern for a man who quite literally lives off his voice - the horrible side of me thought "Well, thank goodness!"  I was not grateful that he lost his voice.  I was actually saddened and concerned about it.  What I was grateful for was that Checo was indeed only human.  If you use your voice as often as he does (and as powerfully as he does) it's only a matter of time before it gets worn out.  I know Checo was going to do everything in his power to get his voice back again.  In fact one of his methods was to avoid singing in rehearsal, which meant that all of his solo parts were softly spoken instead of sung.  It was hilarious and awesome!

I sincerely hope that by now Checo has his voice back.  But I will take pleasure in knowing that at least briefly, Checo - like the rest of us - was fallible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment