Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Apr: 6th: Portland!

Slowly but surely I am acquainting myself with some of the major cities in the U.S.  I am no stranger to the U.S.A.  I spent my childhood heading to the States at least once a year to go visit family.  But for the longest time I hadn't really made it beyond Cape Cod, Florida, and Brule, Wisconsin.  Eventually we added Washington DC to that list ... and of course there were all of those states we drove through, but those don't really count.

Heading to New York City and Myrtle Beach with the high school choir was pretty awesome, but it wasn't until I moved to Vancouver that I started checking out some of the more western states.  It helped when I had to drive a car from Wisconsin to Vancouver and had the chance to scope out the states along our Canadian border.  And of course since being in Vancouver I've made it down to Seattle and even made it down for a quick trip to Gig Harbour.  But that was as south as I had been on the west coast.  Until now!

Hello Portland! I've been hearing for a long time that I should check out this city and thanks to a very eager and awesome boyfriend who loves adventure and nostalgia, I was finally able to.  Apparently while I was spending my summers in Cape Cod and Wisconsin, he was spending his summers on the Oregon coast.  I know Portland is not on the Oregon coast, but it's kind of on the way.  And it's adorable!  Very eclectic, and relaxed.  At first I didn't really know what to make of it, but the more time I spent in Old Town, Downtown, and the Pearl District, the more it really grew on me.  It also helped that the first place we happened about was Old Town Pizza.  Here's a hint: if you see a sandwich board for a food joint that has "as featured on Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels", do yourself a favour and eat there.  The show is dedicated to finding great food that the locals love that is extremely affordable.  How can we go wrong?

One of the best decisions ever.  For a moment we had forgotten that we were in the States and thus the portion sizes were much larger.  We probably didn't need to order all the food that we did, but it just meant more deliciousness for us.  We got the garlic knots, and the pesto pizza.  Another fun fact: apparently the place is haunted.  If you want to read up on that history, follow this link!  It's really interesting.

After Old Town we enjoyed a little bit of shopping, TAX FREE (always awesome) then it was back to the ridiculously awesome and low-priced hotel and dip in the pool and spa.  Portland - you're awesome!  I've enjoyed our time together while it's lasted.  But we can't be together forever, because eventually I have a coast to get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment