Monday, April 23, 2012

Apr. 19th: OLP - the same, yet different!

When a friend asks you if you want to go to the OLP concert in town, your answer should always be YES!!!

Our Lady Peace will forever be one of those big nostalgic bands for me.  Ever since we went to see them in high school in a big outdoor concert when we were essentially crushed against a chain link fence as we tried to get just a few feet closer to get a decent picture Raine Maida in his infinite glory, the band has solidified a place in my memory of one of the more epic experiences I have had in my lifetime.  The last time I saw them was at the Olympics while my bro was in town (another epic experience), but at that time I was hanging with my friend (same one who invited me to this OLP concert) who was touring with the Arkells at the time.

I often get to see this friend when he comes in town for tours, but rarely do I actually get to watch a show with him.  He's usually too busy working the show to really watch it with me (though really - how much talking can one do at a rock concert).  So it was awesome to finally hang out with him as another audience member.  We were still hanging with the peeps who were working the show, but neither of us had to worry or stress about anything, except for trying not to melt from the heat that was coming off of the massive projector.  I know, I know.  Life is hard.

One of the more awesome parts of the night (aside from the concert of course) was meeting and chatting with the lighting guy.  I know I'm not in the music business and especially not in the technical side of the business - but it was amazing how much I could at least understand what was being said in the techy and music biz conversations that were going on around me.  Really - theatre is not too far a stretch from the music world.  We also work a lot with Christie Lites.  We deal with venue and front-of-house issues.  No I didn't pick up on everything that was being mentioned, but I wasn't completely ignorant to it either - which was pretty darn sweet.

It's amazing how some things can be SO similar, and yet still have vast differences.  Our Lady Peace was still as awesome as epic as I ever remember, but I have to admit that at least 10 years have past since that epic concert in high school.  People grow up.  The flailing and crazy head movements that most folks would recall from Superman's Dead have been subdued over the years.  Does that make it worse?  Absolutely not.  But it does make it different! The passion is the same.  Only the execution is different.  Interesting.

What an awesome night!  Thanks again Brad and Ryan for a spectacular evening.  I owe you both a drink or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment