Thursday, April 12, 2012

Apr. 7th: The beauty of New Port!

So after a wonderful and peaceful night of sleep at an epically awesome hotel in Portland, we enjoyed a nice breakfast with a quick trip downtown before we headed on our way to New Port.

Before I get into the awesomeness of New Port, I want to make a side note and mention that I freaking love 3 - 3.5 star hotels.  I have NEVER had any issues with any hotel with this middle of the line rating.  The stay almost always includes free wifi, a fridge and sometimes microwave, great sizable rooms, a pool and sauna (most of the time), and occasionally you'll get fantastic little extras like earplugs (which is handy when you're staying with a snorer).  I've found that the moment I get into the higher stars, the decor of the hotel gets a little bit fancier, but everything else (including the use of a fridge) requires extra payment on top of your already ridiculously expensive room.  If you've got the money and love to spend it on silly things like decor and internet - then go for those greater stars.  But I'll stick to my awesome middle of the line hotels.

Okay - New Port!  Awesome little town.  It kind of reminded me of some weird combination of Cape Cod and Sauble Beach.  Cute and quiet quaintness of Cape Cod, with the awesome random waterside shops like Sauble.  Granted I haven't been to the Cape or Sauble in a very long time so perhaps my mind was playing tricks on me, but I can safely wrap things up by saying that it was awesome.  And the food.  Oh the food.  While walking along the bayfront we asked the locals where was a good place to stop for good seafood and everyone mentioned this place called Local Ocean.  I'm not the biggest fan of seafood but everything we ate at this place was gosh darn delicious.  We decided to forego the alcoholic beverages to fit in some crab cakes.  Followed by delicious fish tacos and fried oysters.  I'm salivating just thinking about it.

And of course one of the best things about the trip were our accommodations.  A cute little campsite right on the coast of Oregon.  Even though lack of supplies and rain kept us from having a campfire the first night, we still had an awesome time hanging out in the tent, drinking some local Mead, and falling asleep early after a long day.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures.  I took some but I've misplaced my cord.  Do I smell a bonus blog post coming up?

No comments:

Post a Comment