Sunday, April 29, 2012

Apr. 26th: Time to Stand-Up!

I have officially gone insane.  After thinking I was going to enjoy a quiet night to myself on Thursday I received a personal invitation from one of my improv friends to attend the come-back of the monthly stand-up shows at Second Storey Theatre.  I pondered for a bit then realized that I've been wanting to see one of these shows for a while, and what better time than a night when I had nothing else planned.  So after work I made my way out to Port Coquitlam for a night of comedy.

As I was watching the show, I kept thinking to myself "I wonder if I could do this.  I think I could.  I have some hilarious stories.  I can be funny sometimes.  Maybe I should give it a shot."  Then at intermission I talked with one of my friends who did his set in the first act and rocked it.  It was at that point that I made the mistake of voicing my thoughts about possibly doing stand-up in the future aloud.  The rest was kind of a blur, but I remember a mention of next month, the challenge to a friend of "I'll do it if you do it", followed by the shaking of hands.

. . .

What the heck have I gotten myself into?  Okay - this is awesome.  Ever since I was accepted into Humber's comedy program I had always wondered if I could do stand-up, often resulting in my definitive answer of No.  But now ... I guess I have the confidence?  No, that's not right.  I guess it's more that I no longer have the fear.  I am extremely nervous, and well aware that failure is absolutely an option.  But at least I'm finally going to give it a try.  I might bomb ... but I might succeed.  Only time will tell.

Either way, this current state of extreme nervousness and excitement is quite exhilirating.  I just hope that it carries into the routine.  So I guess this means I should start thinking up some material.  Anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. GAH! You're doing it! That's AWESOME! Okay, here are my suggestions:

    -Make fun of sex
    -Make fun of dudes and how they act with sex
    -Make fun of ladies and how they act with sex
    -Make fun of how girl comedians "just aren't funny" (because every girl comedian I've seen does that)
    -Swear a lot
    -Talk about your fleshy forehead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Show no mercy to hecklers!

    ReplyDelete