Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Apr. 28th: Meeting half way.

It's really nice to return a favour.  And by really nice, what I mean to say is awesome.  Back in the day when I was visiting Luke on the island, he was always really great about taking buses downtown with me so that he could say his good-byes while I got on the bus to the ferry.  This might not seem like a big deal, but considering that it was at least an hour out of his way it always felt like a big deal to me.  Especially since I knew he could just say his good-byes at his place and not even have to step on a bus.

Generally anytime he came to see me, I never had the time or really took the time to do the same sort of trip for him.  Maybe it had something to do with the halfway point between my place and ferries is in the middle of nowhere, whereas his halfway point was downtown Victoria, but probably not.  All I know is, I had never put in the same transit times when saying good-bye as he did.  Well finally the tables turned.

Luke was making his way to the island this weekend and it just so happened that I had some time to spare.  So the first time in I don't even know how long, I took transit with him to Bridgeport to see him off as he got on the bus to the ferries.  I know it's not much but it was nice to at least make that much of an effort.  I even waited until he was settled in his seat before I started making my way back up the escalator (making sure not to watch as the bus drove out of sight - some superstitions die hard).

I know I still owe him a few more of these trips, but I'm working to diminish this debt.  For now I'll enjoy this small accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment