Sunday, May 06, 2012

May 6th: 3 Hours Difference.

When I first moved to Vancouver I never thought that a 3 hour time difference would be such a big deal.  But then I started developing a lifestyle when I was out late most nights, or if I was lucky I would have a night off when I'd leave work and get home around 6:30.  I'd usually take a half hour to relax and settle in to home life when I'd realize that I should call my Mom and acknowledge that it was then 10pm where she was and therefore likely in bed.

In my world getting in at 10pm is often an early night.  If I'm out, it's usually because I'm seeing a show which means it's usually running until 10pm, and then I have to transit home meaning that I'm usually walking through my door around 11pm or after.  So if I were to get a call late at night, it wouldn't be bothersome for me.  But I've already confirmed with my parents that my life and schedule is crazy and apparently not the norm.  So now that I'm home and everyone's off and heading to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour (10 or 11pm), I'm still ready to keep going.  So, what do I do?  Well I go on my computer of course.

My computer, unlike my phone, does not update its time automatically when it changes time zones.  So as I type this I'm reading 9:19pm.  Makes sense to me.  That's what it feels like.  It's still early enough for me to call people in Vancouver and I know they'll likely be available.  I can scope out all of my other favourite websites and not feel bad because it's still early.  But then I remember that it's actually past midnight where I am, and I am planning on getting up for an early breakfast with the parents.  So maybe this is one of those times when I should acknowledge that New Year's Resolution I made and get some sleep.

The awesome part is that when I close my laptop I'll be thinking that I'll have gone to bed before 9:30 and therefore be convinced that I'm getting a great night's sleep!  I don't know if placebos actually work when it comes to sleeping - but I'll find out when I wake up.    

No comments:

Post a Comment