Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 17th: Paying It Forward

So despite the long while since I've posted, I want to make it known that I absolutely did stick to my commitment of paying my good deed forward.  I didn't do anything particularly special, but I definitely helped out my fellow man.  And it was almost like people knew that I had made a commitment to pay the good deeds forward because it seemed like they opened the doors of opportunity for me, and all I had to do was walk through.

First - not special and not really paying it forward I got up and offered my seat on the bus to someone who needed it more than I.  Not so much a good deed as common consideration, but still worth noting.

Then, while on the bus I noticed someone needing help figuring out where to go.  It seemed that they had gotten on the right bus, but going in the wrong direction.  I quickly chimed in to let them know that they should be getting of and let them know where they could catch the right bus.  It wasn't exactly the best news or the kindest thing I could do, but it was still received with much appreciation.

And finally on my way back to work I walked across one of those pedestrian controlled crosswalks on a very busy and found a car waiting patiently for space to open up in the traffic.  I had already intended on pushing the button to help them out, but I guess the noticed my willingness to help out and asked politely if I would push the button once I got across the street to which I replied with my friendly eager smile "Absolutely!"

It's funny thinking of this stuff as 'paying it forward'.  As I said before it's really just common consideration for others.  Taking the time to slip into someone else's shoes and realizing that there are tiny things you can do to help them out on their way.  So simple, so awesome, yet so rarely done!  So I'm going to enjoy the awesome of dedicating a day to making sure I did this.  Yay humanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment