Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 14th: Pseudo Vacation in my own backyard!

Even though I was in Ontario for 10 days, I would hardly call it a vacation.  Since my first weekend away was spent working on spreadsheets for our strategic plan, followed by a week of attending conference sessions and dealing with work and Jessie emails.  Trust me, I'm not complaining.  I enjoyed every moment, but the fact is that it was all work.  That was until Monday.

Monday was probably the first quiet day I had.  I slept in after a busy Mother's Day.  I checked some emails and handled some smaller things, but otherwise it was a nice quiet day of enjoying the beautiful Ontario weather, the scent of lilac in the backyard and a fun trip to the grocery store and garden nursery with Mom.

I almost forgot how nice it is to have a backyard, and what it's like to sit back and enjoy it.  Taking the time to do nothing but sit back, read, and enjoy the view and the wildlife.  Being in the city, I never see the birds that I used to see and wake up to when I grew up.  The number of times I saw Woodpeckers, Goldfinches, Chickadees, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Orioles - I could have drafted a baseball team.  And then of course there are the squirrels, the adorable chipmunks, and the occasional bunny (real ones - not those domesticated bunnies on the loose in Richmond).  The only thing that could have made the relaxing day better would be a deer sighting.  But I was happy to settle with one last visit with Leah!

This is what a visit home should be like.  Remembering the simple life and the importance of the people around you.  I don't know how long I could take the quiet for, but it was great to have it at least for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment