Monday, May 14, 2012

May 12th: Jack William!

Last day of the conference!  I've had a blast and I wish I could spend more time with everyone, except that while the conference was going on the last few days I've been a little distracted with wanting to get home as soon as possible.  I had someone I needed to meet, and as much as I love a good hoe down - I love my family a whole lot more and upon hearing I had a new nephew to meet I left as soon as the AGM concluded.

I probably pushed my luck with some of the speed limits, but I got home with good timing to make my way over to big brother Jamie's house to meet his new son, Jack William.  I'm not going to lie - I was a little perturbed when I found out his name was Jack.  I'm glad he's a Jack, quite frankly, but it was one of those names that I had on my short list especially with it being a family name.  But I think this little guy suits it really well (and I still have others on the list).

It was really surreal seeing new baby Jack and big sister Isla together then looking up at Jamie and his beautiful wife in their gorgeous home and realizing that my big brother is now living the life that our parents went through when they first had us. Being in Vancouver I feel really far removed from what is going on with my family.  I know what's happening at home and with my brothers, but it's not until I see it first hand that it hits me just how much we've grown up.  Jamie has a family!  That's AWESOME!  And I'm missing out on it.  Not so awesome.  But I think the life I've created for myself in Vancouver is kind of awesome.  Is it worth missing out on my niece and nephews upbringing?  ... I honestly don't know.  But I'm willing to bet that if I asked my brother if I should give up the life I currently have to be a bit closer to them, he'd discourage me from doing so.

I might not be around all the time, but it certainly does not mean that I love these kids or my family any less.  What it means is that when I am home to spend time with them, I treasure every last moment with them!  Welcome to the family Jack!  I hope you're ready for a whole lot of love, because it's coming your way whether you like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment