Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 16th: Good Samaritans!

Yes - leave it to me to spend a full 15 hours out of the house on my first day back in Vancouver.  The day was filled with a busy day at work, a committee meeting, and then an opening night.  It was great to get right back into the rhythm of things, but being back in Vancouver I'm back on transit as opposed to driving around whenever I want.

The issue with late night transit is that it runs less frequently, and because so few are using it, it doesn't need to make quite as many stops which means it often arrives early.  As I was on my way up the Granville hill thinking I should still have more than enough time to catch my bus, I see it go by in front of me.  So then I start running.  I rarely run for buses, but knowing that it would be 30 minutes for the next one to come by, I kick it into high gear while still obeying all traffic laws.

Really - I shouldn't have made it.  But as I was running up, one of the gentlemen who just got off the bus noticed me, so made it his responsibility to run back to the bus to notify the driver that I was only seconds away.  I kept running, but I made sure to make eye contact with this kind gentleman and thank him for his kindness, and of course I thanked the bus driver as well as I stepped onto the bus.

I know it's such a small thing, but it really meant a lot to me.  The man didn't have to do anything, but in that brief second he saw me, knew what he would want done if he were running, and then went ahead and did it.  It really doesn't take a lot of effort to make someone's day.  I want to buy that guy a coffee, but obviously I didn't have the time to take down contact information.  So I am claiming at this very moment that on May 17th, I will pay the good deed forward!  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment