Sunday, May 27, 2012

May 26th: Grouse Grind Opening!

Saturday was the day that the Grouse grind opened.  For those who aren't familiar with the Grouse Grind, it's essentially a 3 km hike entirely uphill on Grouse Mountain.  It starts off pretty decent and then it seems the farther up you go the steeper it gets.  They close the grind in the winter time because of all the snow and slush.  In the summer time it becomes a favourite thing to do for Vancouver's athletes, hikers, and heath-conscious folks.  And it opened on Saturday.  So what did I do on Saturday?  Well, I made it to the top of Grouse Mountain!

Did I hike up?  Heck no!  But I got up there, and enjoyed the view of the city on an extremely beautiful and clear Vancouver day.  And of course I sang to congratulate the climbers on their trek.  For the first time in my history of being a part of the VOC Sweet Soul Gospel Choir, we sang on top of the Mountain in the summer time.  And it was just as awesome as all of the times in the winter!  The grizzlies aren't hibernating anymore so you can see them in their 'natural habitat', and there's the birds of prey show, along with the lumberjack show.  It's just generally a fun time.

I wasn't able to stick around for all of those fun activities, but later this summer I will do the grind again and I will check out those activities once I've deserved it.  First, I need to do some prepping for it.  I don't know if my fitness level is quite ready for it yet.

1 comment:

  1. Grouse mountain,....Glad to hear you "Got" up to the top .....perhaphs. your legs might carry you up the next time......

    ReplyDelete