Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 10th: Long Day after a Late Night

I generally don't enjoy being contacted at 2:30 in the morning but last night it was flipping awesome.  Sure it meant that I tossed and turned for most of the night before a long day of conferencing, but it was totally worth it.  All I can say is that I'm really looking forward to getting back to Ancaster as soon as I get the chance.

As for the conference - yet another great day.  Having a car out here is turning out to be more of an asset than I ever expected.  Instead of needing to worry about shuttles to and from the venue, I was able to take myself over there in no time - allowing myself just a little bit more sleep without missing out on anything.

Big day today! Keynote Speaker address, professional development sessions, beginning of the AGM, open space session about the future of Canadian Theatre, dinner conversations about start-up theatre companies, and a great discussion about Diversity - cultural or otherwise.  I've been coming to these conferences for a few years now and I've progressively become more brave in being a part of the conversations.  By no means would I declare myself a shy person, but for some reason in these professional settings I really like to start off as an observer and learner, but not really an active participant in conversations.  This year that has apparently changed.  Both yesterday and today I feel like I've been speaking up a lot more.  I guess I finally feel like I have things to add to the conversations rather than just reiterating previous thoughts.

By no means is this the first time I've ever contributed to a conversation here at PACT before, but it is the first time that I feel like those pedestals I have put people on have either disappeared or at least have diminished in size.  All of the respect is still there, I've just added a bit more to myself I guess.  It feels good to finally see myself as an equal. ... No, wait ... it feels AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment