Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 13th: Hand Games!!!

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love games.  Board games, card games, even the odd video game - but the games I like the best are the ones that only require your mind and body.  This morning was a good reminder of just how amazing hand games can be.    

Just look at Rock, Paper, Scissors (or ROSHAMBO as I like to call it).  So many of life's simple decisions can be solved with this amazing game.  Out on the night with a friend and can't choose which movie to see?  Why pull out a coin when you can just use your fists to RoShamBo it up.  You can solve it in one round or prolong the fun and go best 2 of 3.  Either way it's going to be a fair decision - so long as everyone leaves the dynamite at home.

Today, though, I learned a whole new hand game.  These two kids were playing it on the bus this morning.  They each started with both of their hands in fists with only their index fingers pointing out.  Whoever went first then tapped one of the fists of the opponent, at which time the opponent would have to add the number of fingers they were tapped with to the number of fingers showing in their hand.  I then learned that in your turn you had the option of tapping your opponent (adding to their total) or evening out your own fingers.  The objective of the game was to get rid of all of your opponent's fingers.  Having no idea what this game was, I did some online sleuthing and learned that the game is called Chopsticks.  I had never played it before and I can't figure out why - because it is AMAZING.  For those who want the visual of how to play, you can check out a video of it, or you can even try playing the online game.  But I recommend just finding a friend and trying it out!  I should also recommend that you stick to playing this game with a sober mind . . . at least for the first few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment