Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 29th: Two Words - Checo Tohomaso!

I have been privileged to have had a number of mentors in my life who not only made me realize my passions, but have encouraged me to let those passions lead the way I live my life.  Not surprisingly two of these people were my music mentors: my high school music teacher, Toni Clement (may she forever rest in peace) and my current choir director Checo Tohomaso!

I cannot think of anyone who better understands what life is all about than these two.  They understood/understand that life is too short, and that being negative and complaining is just a waste of time - particularly when there is SO much to be thankful for.

This evening our choir performed in what has always been my favourite concert venue - on the waterfront at Panorama Park in Deep Cove.  The area is so cute and quaint, and is sheltered by these gorgeous forests and mountains.  And fortunately enough for us - the weather was beautiful.



The reason why I love performing at this venue so much is because it always makes me feel that at my core, I truly understand what life is all about.  Singing these beautiful songs, with the most enthusiastic choir director (who I am convinced doesn't know how NOT to smile), while looking out at this group of people who are all there to have fun and be moved by the choir, just somehow sums everything up for me - to the point where I was literally moved to tears tonight.  We had a guest show up and he sang "A Change Is Gonna Come" without any of us knowing - and during the song a former choir member (who had to quit due to health problems) stood up with her husband and started slow dancing.  Suffice it say that it reminded me so much of Toni - that I couldn't help but cry.

I used to think that the VOC Sweet Soul Gospel Choir slogan of "We'll activate your soul!" was kind of cheezy.  Now I think that it couldn't be more accurate!  I don't think I've ever left a single choir rehearsal or performance without a huge smile and the overwhelming desire to be a happy and helpful person.  Some of that is due to the songs, and just the opportunity to sing.  But a lot of it is thanks to Checo and his infectious enthusiasm!  We need more Toni's and Checo's in the world.  I guess this blog is my best effort at trying to be one of them.

Here's a video of our choir singing at the Folk Festival a couple of years ago.  It's a glimpse of Checo at his more understated, but it definitely gives you an idea of what our crowds are often like.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment