Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 31st: "What the?"

Today's blog is dedicated to confusion in its most awesome sense.  My first bout of confusion has to do with how the heck to format my blog.  Should it only be about the things that I do and/or experience?  Or should it be about the random acts of awesome that I witness frequently?  I think the answer is both - but when I have to choose to write about one over the other, which should take precedent: the intended awesome, or the random awesome? ... well, because I can't yet choose - today we get both.

INTENDED AWESOME:  After a very long but amazing week, I was really looking forward to a night off, but instead I invested my time to go and support some friends who were performing in a show called The Gas Heart.  Well worth the investment!  Any show that has me asking, "What is going on?", "Did that seriously just happen?", "What's with the body parts?", and "How many endings does this show have?" - is amazing.  If you want to know what it's like to see the show just furrow your brow, then lift one (and only one) of your eyebrows, and smile a big goofy toothy smile and laugh.  That's pretty much the state of the show.  I'm sad that it's over and I can't tell more people to see it, but I'm glad that I at least made it out to see it.  Thank you Gas Heart!


UNINTENDED AWESOME:  Right after watching The Gas Heart I started heading home, and while walking down the street, some guy rode by me on his bicycle.  Why is this awesome, you might ask?  Good question.  The answer lies in the convention of the bicycle he was riding.  Here's what the bike looked like.

Needless to say this bike had me asking "What the?" all over again.  Why would someone ride a bike like this just to get them around?  It hardly seems practical.  Well, the answer is simple: because they are awesome.  Want to know what the best part is?  This wasn't even the first time I've seen someone use an unconventional mode of transportation like this.  I've actually seen someone riding a bike just like this down Vancouver streets before, during Critical Mass. Though you generally expect some weird bicycles to show up there.  But there seems to be a good number of people out here in Vancouver who also ride unicycles as their chosen vehicle to get them from A to B.  Yeah - you know the things that jugglers ride on while throwing bowling pins in the air and trying to balance something ridiculous on their nose?  Yeah - people use those just to get around.  And I love it!  To these people who choose their unconventional and awesome modes of transportation - thank you!  For reminding us that our daily commute does not have to be boring!
http://www.thal.ca/shows/gas-heart

No comments:

Post a Comment