Wednesday, July 06, 2011

July 6th: New meaning to the phrase "How can I help you?"

Generally when someone asks "How can I help you?" what they actually mean is "How can I serve you in a way that is relevant to the business that we offer or the circumstances that we are in?"  Or at least that's what I've always assumed when I've had someone ask me that question.  But today that question took on a whole new meaning.  Below is an actual phone conversation I had with someone who called work today.

Me: Good afternoon! This is Alison speaking. How may I help you?
Random Caller:  Hi there.  I don't have a phone book and I need the phone number for the City of White Rock. (a suburb of Vancouver for those who aren't familiar with the geography out here)
Me: No problem.  I can look that up for you.

I still have no idea how they ended up calling the theatre.  I choose to believe it wasn't online - otherwise they could have just searched for the phone number themselves.  Maybe it was a patron who knew how amazing our staff was and knew we'd be willing to help?  Or perhaps it was just somebody calling any 7 digits and I happened to be the lucky winner?  Either way - my immediate response of "Sure I can help with that" made me realize that those 5 words that rush out of my mouth as I pick up the phone are more than just a script to me.  I truly mean them. I legitimately just want to help ... providing that I am able to.  And thanks to Google, I often can.

No comments:

Post a Comment