Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 20th: A Baker's Dozen!!!

I had the privilege of spending one more evening with Brent tonight before he left for other west coast adventures.  We had some good conversations, but one in particular struck a chord with me.  I mentioned that I have now been living in Vancouver longer than I ever lived in Montreal, which got us on the topic of Montreal and whether I missed it.  And I do.  I really do.  

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE Vancouver.  It's a picturesque city with great green spaces and lots to do.  But there was something about Montreal that I really do miss.  The culture, the vibe, the people, their ability to hide their long johns under the greatest fashions, and most of all . . . the food.  I made the mistake of having a poutine out here because I missed it so much, and immediately regretted it.  Fortunately, I was sure to not make that same mistake with Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches.  And of course another one of my favourites was always the St.Viateur Bagels.  Before I'd catch a train home to Hamilton I would go to St.Viateur to grab some fresh bagels to take home with me - both as a treat for my parents and for me on the train.  

Fortunately today I was able to relive that deliciousness when I redeemed my Groupon to Solly's Bagelry.  Montreal style bagels fresh from the oven???? YES PLEASE.  Oh, you want to make that a bakers dozen?  Go right ahead!  Wait - you want to give that to me for half the price??? AWESOME!

So while there's a lot of things about Montreal that I will always miss - it's nice knowing that there's at least one thing here that is sufficiently reminiscent of those glory days.  Thanks Sollys!



No comments:

Post a Comment