Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 9th: Rehearsals and kids!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am currently working on an upcoming production of Taming Of The Shrew with a company called Shadows and Dreams, founded by some friends of mine.  The company was essentially founded so that the founders could continue producing and performing in shows while still looking after their children.  Which means that all of their kids attend our rehearsals and have small parts in each of the shows.  I know some people might think that it must be difficult to rehearse with a bunch of young children running around - but I LOVE IT!!!  Mostly because I just love kids, but these kids are particularly awesome.  They are all so outgoing, so creative, and just tons of fun to be around. I'm alway so impressed with how their minds work.  One of the little boys told me one of the best jokes I've ever heard - and he had no idea why it was so funny.  I'm sure we all know the Knock, Knock joke when you ask "Who's There?", only to get the answer of "banana" twice in a row, but when asked a third time you're surprised to find an ORANGE at the door.  So of course you ask "Orange, who?" - just to await the punchline of "Orange you glad I didn't say banana?" Well this little boy thought he could make the joke even funnier.  Here's his version:

Him: Knock, knock.
Me: Who's there?
Him: Lion.
Me: (wondering where this is going) Lion who?

Him: Knock, knock.
Me: Who's there?
Him: Lion.
Me: (still wondering) Lion who?
Him: Knock, knock.
Me: Who's there?
Him: Cow.
Me: (legitimately intrigued) Cow who? 
Him: Cow'd you glad I didn't say lion?

Well - I almost died laughing when I heard it.  Clearly he didn't really get the original joke, but at least he got it enough to be inspired to make a new joke from it.  And in my honest opinion, it really was a lot funnier.  These are the kids I get to spend my weekend with.  So I get to perform in a show and hang out with amazing children? AMAZING!  Sign me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment