Friday, July 15, 2011

July 15th: Disgusting Smells and Pleasant Memories!

I'm choosing to be inspired by the most recent event of the day.  While being driven home from an amazing theatre production (also awesome), we ended up driving through an area that was very recently visited by a very nearby and very unhappy skunk.  I am not even exaggerating its potency.  While yes, my previous skunking experience has made me a little more sensitive to skunking, my friend verified that the smell was in fact that bad.  And while it is an absolutely awful smell, there's something about it that I really adore.  It reminds of a crucial time in my life when so much changed.  When I was skunked I realized a number of things in a very short period of time: 

1)  I would never have full control over anything - ever
2)  In stressful situations I am allowed a brief moment of panic, but then l need to move on and do what needs to be done
3)  I can always rely on my good friend Google to help me out of jam
4)  I can actually enjoy the experience of scrubbing myself down in a combination of tomato ingredients 
5)  I will always love dogs no matter how stupid/curious they might be
 and most importantly: 
6)  It made me realize that I was absolutely head-over-heels in love with the man who helped me realize all of these things!  

And so while even the faintest smell of a skunk still makes me shudder - it also makes me smile. Much like a couple of other things. Yes - I'm one of those who loves the smell of rotting seaweed and moth balls because it reminds me of summers spent with Grammy on the Cape and in Wisconsin.  Those smells don't make me shudder so much, but they always make me smile.  

So here's to the disgusting smells that make my life so wonderful!  May you forever be gross and great!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment