Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oct. 11th: Surrounded by Talent!

Yesterday was a very long but fulfilling day.  Starting with an early trip to the airport to wait in the security line for an hour to catch the five hour flight home, to go straight to work, then a bellydancing class, then off to pick up some treats at a friends house, followed by a night at the VIFF to celebrate the work of some friends made for a very busy, tiring, but extremely rewarding 21 hours.

I went to the Film Festival for the purpose of attending We Ate The Children Last, which is based on the short story by Yann Martel, and was put together by a few people I knew.  I have been waiting to see this film for over a year when I first got word that my friends were putting it together.  And I was not disappointed.  Having known some of the talent going into the project, I had an idea of how good it was going to be, but I was absolutely blown away with the quality of the work, the performances, and the stellar script.  It's just a shame I did not bring more friends out to see it who I know would have loved it.



It was amazing to be able to celebrate the work of good friends from across the Country.  Especially since these friends were from different areas of my life.   My high school friend Chris Thornborrow who was the one who notified me of the screening of We Ate The Children Last was the composer for the film, while University friends Geoff Smart and Mike Birkett (who was a surprise) were also involved as Associate Director and actor, respectively, with their high school friend Andrew Cividino (who I heard much about in University) directing the whole project.  But they were not the only ones I knew who were involved in the films last night.  Some friends from work, Jason Goode and Giovanni Mocibob, showed off their talent with Jason's film, The Planting.  And fellow improviser, Daniel Chai, made his way into the mix too as a background performer in Move Out Clean.

It is amazing to think that since high school, I have managed to surround myself with so many talented people whose work I can still celebrate today.  You are all such a huge inspiration, and a good part of why I have a career in the arts.  Thank you for your work, and please continue to let me know whenever you have other projects that I can support from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment