Monday, October 10, 2011

Oct.10th: Thankful for Gramma

Well we might not have had our usual Thanksgiving celebrations this weekend (for many reasons), but this weekend has been nothing short of successful.  I was able to catch up with lots of friends, spend some quality time with my immediate family, hang out with my beautiful niece more than once, take part in two turkey dinners, and still managed to find the time to at least check in with the rest of the family.  I was able to catch up with my cousin over the phone and I even received some Hellos from the kids, which warmed my heart entirely.  But I think the thing I was most grateful for was being able to spend time with my Gramma.

Yesterday I had the privilege to visit her in the morning before my breakfast with Leah. But it was tonight that we were able to share our Thanksgiving replacement meal together.  It was a small affair with just my parents, my Gramma, and me - but it was kind of nice.  We enjoyed some small sized meals, and a far too grandiose dessert that I am grateful we shared.  It was a good thing the waiter offered Gramma a spoon because someone needed to help me with it.  Then we headed back to her house where I grabbed some rice krispie squares while my Dad helped Gramma with some computer stuff.  Fortunately for me the rice krispie squares were in the basement where there was also a box Gramma had previously forbidden me from looking in because it was filled with my Grampa's old love letters.  Of course upon hearing that, my first inclination was to open it the moment I got the chance.  During my last Ontario visit in May I managed to sneak my way into the box where I didn't find love letters but did find old letters regarding Grampa's enlisting in the war, his letters of reference, and an old theatre program.  So this time I managed to bring the box upstairs (along with my rice krispie treats) where we all looked through it together.  It turned out that in addition to the wartime documents, and old cards from when my Mom and her siblings were little, there were some old love letters in the box too. But out of respect to my Gramma (the author) I chose not to read them.  Though - I have to admit that the romance that probably lies within them still makes me very curious.

Seriously - when was the last time anyone actually wrote a love letter?  I'm sure many of us have written some loving e-mails, but printing out an e-mail does not seem to have the same affect as cursive handwriting on personalized stationary.  I love this communication age that we are in, but there is something about the inherently romantic and simple life of the past that I wish I could be a part of.  But having never actually lived through the 30s or 40s, perhaps that's easy for me to say.

Anyway - all of this to say that I am extremely grateful for my Gramma.  I'm still so impressed with just how sharp she is.  Cracking jokes, and still getting through with a smile on her face, even in difficult times.  I love this woman so much and am sad that I cannot be around to see her more frequently, but I hope she knows that I think of her often.  Gramma - thank you for not being mad at me for snooping around your house; and for letting me indulge in that moment of selfishness.  I trust that you will let me know if I ever cross a line, but so long as that smile is on your face then I'm going to assume that everything's fair game!  I look forward to my next trip home to Ontario.  Love you lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment