Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oct. 18th: Just enough scary!

I'm not the type of person who likes to be scared.  I figured that out when I was much younger and could not sleep for a month after watching Ernest Scared Stupid (yes - that's how much of a wimp I am).  I especially hate the feeling of someone chasing me and/or sneaking up on me, so I tend to avoid all haunted houses as they live for that stuff.  So, going out to see my friends' show, inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe in a supposedly haunted house in Vancouver (or so I was told that night) was a bit of a challenge for me.  Fortunately Debts was the perfect amount of scary for me.

Even though I can scare quite easily, I really appreciated that any fear ensuing from the play came from the story and environment, and not from cheap shock value.  For that reason I actually considered it to be more eerie than scary.  Don't get me wrong - the fear was there.  But, I do wish I had not been so paranoid during the entire play so that I could have appreciated the story more, instead of looking around to find all of the locations where someone could jump out at me.  And at least now I feel like I know the Roedde Museum House entrances and exits pretty darn well.

It was kind of nice to get out of my comfort zone for the night to support some friends.  Congratulations Mack and Kaitlin, and Itsazoo for an innovative theatre piece!  It was a lot of fun and I'm sure is going to be a huge success during the Hallowe'en season.


No comments:

Post a Comment