Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oct. 13th: Dancing to Sir Elton John

Believe it or not, tonight was my first time ever spent at the ballet.  Yes, somehow I managed to go 27 years without ever seeing ballet performed live before.  I know that there are many people who have gone much longer than that, or perhaps even spend their entire lives having never attended ballet.  But considering how many friends I have who are dancers, and how much I love the performing arts - it was kind of a big deal to me that I was finally able to sit down and enjoy this beautiful and athletic art form.  And what a way to get into it.

The show I attended was Alberta Ballet's Love Lies Bleeding, presented by Ballet BC.  It is a contemporary ballet set to the music by Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin, including the favourite Bennie and the Jets, and Rocket Man.  It was such a fantastic show and a great intro into ballet for me.  I know it was not one of the classics, but it was awesome and made me want to see more - so I think it did it's job.

If you want to see a bit of what I saw tonight, I am including a very short trailer below, but you can watch the full trailer for the show here .  It's spectacular and features some scantily-clad dancers.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment