Sunday, October 02, 2011

Oct. 1st: Checking out the classics!

I watched my third play of the week last night at Studio 58, where they had the opening night of their first show of the season - THE CRUCIBLE.

I do not know how this happened, but I had never even read The Crucible in high school, despite the fact that it is such a classic piece of literature.  I also never even watched the movie featuring Winona Ryder and Daniel Day Lewis.  I knew the jist of the story (ie. the false claims of witchcraft in Salem) but I did not know all of the details of the happenings in the story.  And I have to say - it was kind of infuriating.  I do not know why I was surprised.  It's a play about infuriating events, in an infuriating place, during an infuriating time.  That being said, I am still so grateful that I saw the show.  Being able to experience one of the greatest pieces of theatre ever written was nothing short of awesome.  The fact that the show happened to feature one of my favourite actors in Vancouver also didn't hurt.  Kudos to the Studio 58 students who were able to hold their own while sharing the stage with the Anthony F. Ingram!  That's an impressive feat and you deserve the utmost respect for it.  Thank you to you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment