Sunday, October 02, 2011

Oct. 2nd: Singing for the Cure!

Today started out fantastically.  It was an early start, but very rewarding.  For those who might be unaware, across the nation today was the Run For The Cure in support of Breast Cancer Research.  Every year our choir has had the privilege to sing before the run, and this year was no different.  This was the first year that I was available to sing in this performance, and it was extremely rewarding.  I shed a number of tears out of the pure joy of seeing so many people come together for a cause - one that I supported a few years ago with the Weekend to End Breast Cancer.  To be able to sing as I love to do and thereby be the inspiration and motivation for these already inspirational and motivated runners, was a privilege I was grateful to have.

I am also grateful that today was the day that I was able to feel all of those emotions that come from the simple act of singing.  After hearing some upsetting news today, and having to reflect on the good that came from today, I have come to realize that singing for me is so much more than just having a good time by doing something I love to do.  In a sense it is my own cure for the sadness that I can occasionally experience in my life.  When I sing songs with lyrics of "I still have my joy", "Oh how happy you have made me", and "Everything is Going to be alright", it's difficult to not feel those things.  I have not ever been able to leave a choir performance or rehearsal without a smile on my face and the feeling of knowing who I am and what I live for.  Life will forever be full of unfortunate news, and hard times. I will never be able to stop that.  But I can sway back and forth, clap my hands, and sing to remind me that there is still so much good in my life.  

Below is a video from last year's Run For The Cure event.  Imagine the same thing but with the sun shining and add a familiar face staring back at me and you will have an idea of how my morning started.  That will be my focus for today!


  



No comments:

Post a Comment