Saturday, November 19, 2011

Nov. 18th: This is why I go out on my own!

What a great night!  I actually contemplated staying home after finding out that the friend I had made plans with had gotten sick.  But because I'm stubborn and still really wanted to see some friends perform in concert, I decided to suck it up and go.  Some people might think it is a little weird to go out on a Friday night by yourself.  But I braved it and I am so glad I did, because the little random bits of awesome that happened last night completely blew my mind.

First - it all started with a bit of shopping for some things that I have been eyeing for a long time.  Fortunately for me I was able to get two things off of my wish list for the same amount of money that I was willing to pay for just one.  SCORE!  On top of that high - I ended up running into one of the girls who was in my flamenco class on Thursday who recognized me.  We chatted for a bit about the class and then she offered me an unprovoked compliment (awesome) and asked if I had a dance background.  ... Does tap class at age 5 count? ... It was a great way to start my evening before heading to see some friends from The Left perform at Joe's Apartment.  Then the fun really kicked in!

As soon as I arrived at the venue the awesomeness continued when I was asked for my ID.  What made it so special, you may ask?  The bouncers name was Zack Morris.  Any other people reading this who grew up watching Saved By The Bell will appreciate the awesomeness of that bouncer.  I was smiling so much as I got inside that it almost hurt.  I grabbed a seat near the front so I made sure I would be able to see the band.  I arrived really early for the purposes of getting a seat, and apparently some other people had that idea as well because not long after I sat down, a group of three gentlemen came near the front also looking for seats.  I had grabbed a seat near the end of the bank leaving room between me and the group in front leaving room for these gentlemen to sit there.  As they were chatting, I was watching the stage but it must have looked like I was looking at or through them because they apologized if they were getting in my way.  They weren't so I made sure to tell them that. But as I was talking to them, I recognized one of the gentleman as the father of the bassist (the resemblance was uncanny) - so we got to talking.  It turns out that we knew a lot of the same people (not surprising since the bassist and I also know a lot of the same people), and one of the other gentlemen with him had actually performed at Pacific Theatre in a Fringe show a number of years ago and also went to school in Montreal.

It was such a great evening!  It might have been nice to have stuck with the original plans, but it was kind of nice to get to know these new people.  It just goes to show that when one friend closes a door, another few friends are waiting for you outside your window .... or something like that.

A big thanks to all of the guys in The Left for being the cause of last night's happenings!  You guys rocked it out as always.  I can't wait to see what happens at the next concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment