Monday, November 07, 2011

Nov. 7th: Peeing pink!

I am not culinary at all!  I love food.  I am a big fan of eating and I am even a fan of conceptualizing a meal.  But when it comes to me preparing a decent meal, it becomes quite an operation and one that I would generally prefer to not be a part of.  So it comes as no surprise when I stick to the same basic meals every night, which require the same basic ingredients.  But for some reason on my last trip to the grocery store I decided to get a little creative and bought some produce that I have always enjoyed but never bothered to incorporate it into my own dishes.  Beets!

It wasn't that long ago that beets would actually be the key ingredients in one of favourite meals: Borscht (served hot or cold)!  But I was never the one to cook the borscht.  And while I know that roasting a beet isn't difficult, I've really never taken the time to do it.  I hadn't even taken the time to purchase a beet and grate it onto a salad.  Well - that all ended today when I scrubbed the beet I purchased and pulled out my cheese grater to add a little more personality to my salad.

I know it's not a huge accomplishment, but even just grating that little bit of beet into my salad felt really good.  I'm hoping to eventually get to a point where I am comfortable in the kitchen - no matter what ingredients I'm working with.  So even just this baby step in learning how I can prepare one of my favourite 'healthy choice' foods was pretty darn awesome.  Next time I'll try roasting one!



No comments:

Post a Comment