Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Oct. 30th: Bowling bliss!

Sunday was yet another fantastic day.  Despite the fact that Luke had to leave (pause to allow time for readers to throw up . . .  feel better? . . .  good), I again spent the day doing all the things I love.  I had an improv workshop in the morning, an afternoon of catching up on errands, a trip to the bowling alley and then another awesome Halloween Party with friends.

Yes - that's right folks.  I went to the bowling alley and bowled 5 pin for the first time in a VERY long time.  As with most of the great things in my life, it was a very nostalgic experience.  It made me think of all of those times spent with Mom, Aunt Pat, and Gramma at the bowling alley on Wednesdays when we had weeks off of school.  Maybe if I spent more of those Wednesdays bowling instead of pretending to play video games then I might be a much better bowler now.  Unfortunately that is not how I chose to spend my time - and now I'm lucky if I break 50.  Yes - even in 5 pin).

But it seems to me that bowling is never about the score (unless you are really good at it - in which case go ahead and keep gloating about how awesome you are). Personally, I find bowling to be a lot like mini-putt in that the whole point of playing is not to keep score, but to be silly and have a fun time.  The scores are merely there to allow someone to have a little bit of pride after the game is over, and for them to cash in on whatever prize they happened to win from betting with their fellow players - be it an ice cream cone,  burger, or if on a date potentially even a first kiss.  But no shame should ever come to any of the losing players.  Well - at least that's what I'll keep saying to make me feel better about myself.

Here's to you 5-pin bowling . . . for being Canadian and awesome!  And of course to Linsy for inviting me along!




No comments:

Post a Comment